Last Friday evening saw the end to an ambitious but well received international two day conference in Berlin. Called “she matters”, the conference aimed at creating support from among parliamentarians across the world for increased G7 commitment to international development cooperation and global health, with a special focus on gender equality, women’s empowerment, and SRHR. Organised by the German All Party Parliamentarians’ Group on Population and Development, in collaboration with DSW and EPF, this conference was attended by more than 90 MPs representing 50 parliaments from all world regions.
In a very ambitious appeal, the parliamentarians called on the G7 and the G20 to:
– Step up their commitment to SRHR, gender equality, women’s and girls’ human rights and their empowerment to create the conditions for them to lead self-determined, healthy, and productive lives
– Eliminate discrimination without distinction of any kind, incl. SOGI
– Ensure full respect for women’s bodily autonomy and right to have control over and decide freely and responsibly on matters related to their sexuality
– Review and repeal laws that punish women and girls who have or are accused of having undergone illegal abortions, and end imprisonment for such acts
– Ensure the respect, promotion and protection of sexual and reproductive health and rights for all, including universal access to quality, comprehensive, youth-friendly, integrated and affordable sexual and reproductive health information, education and services, including a wide range of modern methods of family planning, and emergency contraception as defined and recommended by WHO, while removing legal, regulatory, social and gender barriers to these for adolescents and unmarried women
– Reaffirm that low- and middle-income countries need external resources for sustainable development, and that, in view of their responsibility, G7 countries and other high-income countries, must re-commit to the 0,7% share of GDP to ODA and ensure debt sustainability, debt restructuring and debt relief where necessary
The appeal was handed over to the German G7 Sherpa, Mr. Roeller at the end of the conference on Friday evening.
Please visit she-matters.org for further updates and photos from the event which will be posted throughout the week or stay tuned to our social media accounts #SheMattersG7